Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Tough job....being kids

Upon reaching home yesterday evening, I was greeted with a weird scenario. That is, no kids playing around the area. Since the kids were not around, their respective bibiks were also not there, thus adding to the eerie atmosphere. The only persons occupying the street were Adam and his bibik, both seemed bored out of their wit. Even Amri was not there, but that was because he followed ayah to god-know-where.

My first thought that, there must be a new and extremely fun playground nearby and all the kids were there. But that was out of question....I've been driving around the neighbourhood frequent enough to notice even a neighbours new gate, let alone a new playground. The busybody me took over and sent a few sms around to ask the whereabout of peoples kids...huh...I should have work as ketua kampung or the sort :)
The replies promptly came back...all with mostly the same answer...their respective kids are dead tired from school and did not have the energy to step outside. Other answers included, kids were still at tuition centre, kids were in afternoon session of school this year or kids were having piano/ballet/iqra lesson.

Whoa....being kids were tough job. I thought my job was tough enough and I complained about long working hours to no end. But I got to disappear from office at 6pm only to return back at 9 the next morning. I had all the nights to myself plus one quarter of my day was spent blogging and the rest surfing the net. No homework to do and if I were reading, it was for silly pleasure (read: Harry Porter range). And I get paid at the end of the month. Thank goodness I was a kid during 80's

But then...what would happen to Adam and Amri in a few years time? I guess they would be caught in the ratrace as well. Since I do not foresee my boss giving me increment that would enable me to send the kids to private school...then I think the next best options to do are:
1. Give them stamina training ala national service module
2. Eliminate any academic like expectation from my head, so that the kids do not have to get straight A's thus eliminating the need for tuition class
3. Brainwash my kids that they are smart enough to capture everything in class and regurgitate it during exam.
4. Start a campaign for revamping of Malaysian education system

Maybe I'll just blog about it...

No comments: