Friday, January 21, 2005

A big city kid

We were visiting the old folks around the neighbourhood, house hopping from one place to another. Then we arrived at a dear old granny house, and the stench of chicken dropping was overbearing. For a while I almost cover up my nose but a few seconds later the stench made me homesick. It reminded me of growing up in Tok's place 25 years ago where reban ayam was one of the hot spot to play hide and seek. The whole kampung was one big, fun playground where the worst thing that could happen to you was being fool enough to play under a coconut tree laden with matured coconuts. The feeling of homesickness hit me hard and I lost my bearing for a while.

Amri, on the other hand, was a different case altogether. He looked green from the stench and on the verge of throwing up. Upon reaching the front door and greeted with more rotten smell from inside of the house, he refused to step in, saying that he wanted to play outside. My heart went out to him, looking so miserable and green faced, standing forlornly outside the kitchen door and obviously was not playing. But blessed him, never once he mentioned about the horendous smell or said anything that could embarrass the owner. And when he could not stand it anymore, he yelled for me asking whether we could go home because the chickens were going to attack him. We took pity of him so I quickly made up excuse and went home.

No comments: