Sunday, March 05, 2006

Annoyed second time round

I was at home, nursing an oncoming cold, diarrhea and funny period pain. Hubby was away thus I was left without a car. Which was fine with me, the boys and I were so sick we could hardly walk 10 paces without doubling back to toilet or throwing up on the floor, what more to drive around. Then a friend called saying she was on the way to my house. Well......fine....we did have a gaggle of visitors lately. Afterall, we were the famous flood victims. Very nice of her too....coming all the way from KL. I was kinda happy with the thought of meeting her, since the last time I met her was when I gave birth to Amri.

But surprise......surprise! She was not here to offer her sympathy, much less helping out with the usual aftermath of flood. She brought an MLM lady who immediately launched into sales pitch at the first chance she had. Sheesh. They were here to recruit me as downline, seeing that I now had all the time in the world with my new status of SAHM. As if!!! I should have known better. If she wasn't interested in my life all this years, never attended any of my open houses, not an email/sms and never appeared at any externalzone reunions, obviously she was on to something. It upsetted me a great deal as I was looking forward to an afternoon of catching up with the lost years as well as a friend to comisserate with the state of my house post flood and maybe the irrigation problem at ttdi jaya. See....we people at ttdi jaya sure love to blow any problem out of propotion. But i guess, the whole nation knew about it.

There i was, listening the MLM lady droning on and on about a miracle product that could cure all sickness in the world. If she had her way, we need not forked out the scholarship for our top students to study medicine. The fund could be channelled out to, say, building flood retention ponds at every available land at ttdi jaya. I was sick, my kids were sick, my house was in great mess, my hubby will have to foot a 40k++ worth of car repair bills, my maid was too tired to cook dinner and all these fine ladies could think of was to get my IC pronto for registration so that they could meet their target. How low could people possibly stoop....

Ironically....this was not the first time I ended up with MLM people as guest. I was once received a call from our old neighbour, saying that she was coming over with her families. I was thrilled. I love having guest. I quickly whipped up bubur kacang and cucur jagung and what not for the guests. Turned out, they brought over a saleslady selling a multi purpose vacuum (that could also cure all sickness as well) who went right to product demo the moment she set foot in my house. Needless to say, my old neighbour quickly downed their drinks, declined the bubur kacang and made their exit so fast I didn't have a chance to salam with any of them. Pathetic.

I did not hate MLM people,especially if they are my friends. I did have a few of them in my phonebook and i ordered quite a number of stuff from them. However, people must learn how to distinguish between business call and personal call. If you have something to sell, simply say so. Believe me, I could tune in my brain in a jiffy. I simply did not appreciate being invaded during my personal time and especially not during hard time.

Beware of long lost friend!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

eiseais said...

"they" are everywhere, arent they? have a cousin who wanted to sell me something. didnt realise that i'm a sahm who cant just write a cheque out of the blue. told her i have other spendings that i'm committed to. then she started talking abt we have to be a good parent and give the best to our children and i should buy her product for the sake of my children. yeah well, i have to pay my housing loan for the sake of my children too, dont i?? *angry* till now i'm avoiding her phone call. seems to think that being a sahm, i have a lot of free time to organise sessions for her to introduce her 'barang-barang'. then talk about how this can help me earn extra income. helping me or using me??

nae said...

some people really good at taking advantage, didn't they? sometimes i wished that they would just utilise the internet and advertise their wares and spare us the hassle

Cherry said...

hey i didn't know you've been promoted to SAHM now :) Congratulations.

me visit you olso OK kan ... nak hantar Gendong :)

nae said...

ninuk: thanks but not for long me think. need to hold at least 2 jobs if i want to be your next door neighbour :) and yes, you are welcome anytime,with or without gendong