Monday, February 25, 2008

Midlife crisis

Not mine, though. But I'm surrounded with men in various stage of midlife crisis. And it is starting to drive me up the wall. You wouldn't believe that all these nonsense are coming from well educated men. Mr. OM, who could come up with the most complicated engineering design within minutes were having doubts about his position in the organisation. And lately his insecurities were extended to his other benefits, i.e accomodation and company car. Honestly, I wouldn't dream of taking all those things away from him. Pretty soon, he would be having nightmare of me or anyone else for that matter, taking away his phone, his room, company credit card or probably his reading glasses.

What happened when Mr OM met Mr SS, who himself was having his own crisis? It was like having two extra boys to look after. Add a few more men to that equation and I am quite ready to throw my own tantrum. My only mantra this few weeks was 'if I could handle Amri and Adam, I could handle these men'.

I am quite prepared to ignore the long face,the sulking, the childish emotional outburst, the power struggle and the occasional signs of depression (read: alcohol) but all of these are putting strain on company operation. In the absence of a GM, it is up to me to make sure things are under control. What am I supposed to do? A friend said, men going through midlife crisis are best left alone. But I can't do that, can I? I need all of them to run the company.

*sigh*

Anyway, God still have mercy on me. Just when I thought I'd be in real trouble this week, with Japanese guests coming over and another couple of middle age Big Bosses flying down from US to meet the Japanese, a few things begin to happen. Mr. OM is down with conjunctivities and some other cornea infection that he ends up with only 50% vision. Thus, he is safely confined at home for now. One less man to deal with. Big Boss no.1 has urgent matters at some other continent so he is safely on the other side of planet earth. Mr Power Hungry is sent to offshore and will be there for the next two weeks. Mr.SS is playing hide and seek with first ex-wife due to alimony matter and is under court order to present himself somewhere so he'll be occupied for quite some time. Hopefully the court will find him guilty of not paying alimony and chuck him in jail for a few months. Two others are sent for training at UK and I hope the brits will keep these two frozen until I managed to catch my breath. Err...what season is it now over there?

Help me God....I am too young for this. I want to go back being just an FC and enjoy my life.

So. The forecasted bleak week is actually turning out to be quite fun. And I'm invited by the Japs to a dinner with belly dance show.

For brief explaination of midlife crisis, read here

I just hope, after being so understandable with these men, I will be allowed to show up at work one day and claim that I am having a raging PMS and feeling a wee bit murderous.

No comments: