Thursday, March 29, 2012

The gray area of striking a balance

I read an article today about how some top executives were lamenting about their so called over flexi working arrangement which ended up with them working 24x7.

Well.

I worked 24x7 too but unlike them, my annual package is definitely not 7 digits. And unlike them, my 24x7 working hours totalled less than 40 hours per week. Heheh...you win some, you lose some.

I worked for a multinational organisation which runs like an ER. Almost everyone is on call (the cleaner does not). There is always emergency at any one time (read : revenue). I go everywhere with blackberry attached like an appendage. I tot around laptop during holidays. I do not have any specific working hours. I read and reply to emails at ungodly hours. I've had to recrunch numbers that already been crunched beyond recognition on Saturday morning because someone is US did not agree with it on their Friday. But I love it. I love every boring second of it. And most people find it hard to believe. Those few who believe, asked me for time management tips.

Anyway. There is no specific tip. I just got lucky to stumble into a kind of environment that I thrive in . I managed to mash home and office nicely. The famous flexi hour allows me to fool around with my boys (young and old) and occasionally with girlfriends while sticking to my 40 hours per week. I work from home occasionally, when I think I can stand Aqil bugging me. Most time, it is wiser to hide in office and bring part of your home affairs to workplace. Things like organising birthday party, stalking the boys facebook, harassing the husband, searching for recipe, emailing the teachers, online shopping or holiday planning are best if done at office. Again, must remember 40 hours/week rule. Integrity must always be intact. Anything less will deign you a thief. Work at 3am if you must but the pledged 40 hours must be accounted for.

But of course, I take some measure to ensure this from the beginning. I can still remember years ago, after being offered a job here, I made a call to office at 5.30pm, for a few days straight and again on Saturday. If someone pick it up, then I was going to turn down the offer, or at least, will not stay past my probationery period. Thank God the phone kept on ringing. Thank God, a few years later, no one is staying in office after 5pm (save for a staff who carpool with his brother so has to wait for the other).

So far so good. I get to attend all school functions, be home/school in a jiffy if one of the boys is taken ill, have time for parties with my girlfriends, occasional lunch date and movie with husband, read tonnes of books and whenever the mood strike, put on my mad cook hat.

All this at the price of having a rather significant less pay than my friends at KLCC...muahahahaha.....but seriously, my leisure time is priceless. No way i'm giving it up.

No comments: