Thursday, July 28, 2005

School donation

This morning at a shop near my house, I came across a neighbour who was busy soliciting donation from the shop owner. Turned out, she was collecting donation on behalf of her daughter. The daughter (and all of her schoolmates) was given a booklet whereby generous hearts would sign and donate any appropriate sum. The purpose was to give the school walls a new coat of paint.

Well...I'm all for a good looking school walls. But I'd like to differ on the method of sourcing for fund. How would the school principal expect a little girl to go around soliciting fund? From whom? Knocking neighbours door? Can't there be a better way to raise the needed 40k fund other than begging from people? What sort of value we're teaching our young ones. To beg? Or subsidy mentality revisited.
What about having a jumble sale or school concert for a change. Put the price of the ticket ridiculously high by all means. Just make sure to state clearly where the proceed will go

I gave my donation to the mother, more so to spare her the trouble of going around asking for donation while she should be in her office doing more productive things. The time will come when Amri would be in school and been instructed to raise money for school project. I think I'll just sign all the column in the donation booklet myself and pretend to donate RM2 each. Ha!

Now I need to have a word with Kak Cik the school teacher

No comments: