Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Safety first

I was exiting NKVE towards Kota Damansara when I noticed this blue car in front of me, both back windows fully opened and two small heads poking out on each side. OMG! This is one daring parent I guess. While i was considering a possibility that the driver was too engrossed in driving that he did not noticed his two kids halfway out of the car window, they did an even more amazing stunt. It was nearing the touchngo toll booth and the daughter let herself out from the window a little bit more until I could even read the full name of her kindergarten emblazoned on the back of her t-shirt and to my surprise, touched the TnG card to the reader. And while the sister was doing that, her brother, also wearing the same t-shirt from kindergarten, was lolling his head outside the window and at times, touched his forehead to the exterior part of the car door. Amazing eh? Training the children to perform at circus maybe, just in case twenty years from now, regular jobs are too hard to come by.
I'm probably the least qualified person to write about safety, particularly child safety, seeing that at least one of my boys will come home everyday with at the very least, scrapped knee. Of course, lets not forget the OT drama which I can't guarantee will not be repeated. I let my children jump, play, cycle, run, climb, roll around, dance in the rain or whatever they feel like doing. However, I draw the line, a very firm line at road/car safety. No compromise. Well...I may open the sunroof and let the boys poked out their head once in a while but only when I felt safe enough. Like when I drove from my house to Azida's house, which was two streets away. But never ever on the main road, let alone a highway during morning peak hours.
I may have been too quick at judging the driver, but honestly, there are a lot more safer ways to entertain a couple of kindy going children.

No comments: